Toilet training your child, dream or reality?
Does having a toilet trained child seem like a dream? When is it a good time to seek help?
- Toilet training has become static and no progress has been made over the last three to six months
- You have had several attempts and each time it ends with frustration, tears and feelings of failure for parent and child
- Your child has mastered one aspect of toilet training (ie wee in toilet) but has minimal to no success with the other (ie poo on toilet)
- You feel your day is consumed by poo and wee talk but no one is listening
- If you feel you have tried everything and you just don’t know what to do next
Seeking help is very individual but importantly it should be done when you are ready. Making changes to behaviours takes 3 to 12 weeks depending on parent and child. So it is good to factor this in if you do have an expectation of being toilet trained before a specific date.
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”