I will only poo in a NAPPY!
Over the recent months I have seen many little people who are perfectly happy to wee in the toilet but absolutely refuse to poo anywhere but in a NAPPY. So many parents ask me why they do this and often it can be related to constipation or a worry about the poo landing in the toilet. The advice within the mother’s group is often don’t worry they will grow out of it and for a small group this is correct but for the rest it is unlikely and it can cause a great strain on parent and child. So what are signs that your child is going to need some help to conquer their nappy obsession –
- They have never done a poo on the toilet.
- The mere mention of sitting on the toilet to poo creates a melt down.
- They poo standing up and like to hide anywhere in the house other than the bathroom.
- A history of constipation or holding onto their poo.
- They are happy to wear knickers/jocks and will ask for a nappy to poo.
- They have been toilet trained with wee for at least 3 months.
- They have been asking for a nappy to poo for ever.
- Parents have run out of ideas and the house is stressed from toilet refusal.
Helping a child to beat the nappy obsession can be frustrating but with a detailed plan, excellent support and the primary goal being building independence and confidence in your child then I can assure you it is worth it.
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”